About the McDonnell International Scholars Academy
The McDonnell International Scholars Academy fellowship program cultivates a community of culturally and academically diverse leaders who will address the world’s most complex challenges by driving positive and lasting change. Through its longstanding international partnerships, the program is an incubator of groundbreaking ideas that advance collaborative interdisciplinary research. A transformational experience, the Academy enhances leadership capacity through mentorship, professional development, and unique engagement opportunities. It is this foundation that builds the character and conviction to lead with a global mindset and social responsibility. McDonnell Scholars are selected based on their ability to emerge as leaders who are experts in their fields with perspectives that reflect cultural competence. Scholars are given a generous financial package to support their graduate and professional degree studies at Washington University in St. Louis.
Graduate Fellowship Benefits
McDonnell Scholars receive both financial and programmatic support, including:
- a monthly living stipend;
- a relocation expense allowance and travel allowance;
- opportunity to reside in private, modern cohort housing within walking distance to campus;
- multifaceted instruction designed to develop the McDonnell Scholars defining attributes of
global mindset, leadership, and community;
- cultural experiences such as cohort trips to Washington D.C. and New York, and participation in
international research symposia;
- individual mentorship by dedicated faculty who support the Scholar’s academic and professional
- expansive network of students and alumni from across countries and disciplines.
The McDonnell Academy fellowship opportunity is open to prospective students applying to pursue an
eligible full-time graduate or professional degree program at Washington University in St. Louis.
- Priority is given to international graduate and professional candidates who are graduates of one
of the Academy’s partners universities.
- U.S. citizens who have earned previous degrees from U.S. institutions are eligible to apply as a
- International graduate and professional degree candidates from other international universities
outside the partner network are also considered for a limited number of fellowships.
Application Process & Requirements
The McDonnell Academy application consists of all of the following components:
- Candidate’s biographic information and academic history
- Personal essay
- Short video introduction (2mins): Tell us about a talent, facet of your personality, OR leadership experience that is genuinely meaningful and unique to you.
- Recommendation letter
- Online application requirements are outlined in detail on the application instructions page.
Send the documents through this form at the latest on 27 December 2021
What We Are Seeking in a Scholar
- Academic distinction: Scholars are selected on the basis of their academic talent, and ambition
to become leaders in their chosen profession or community.
- Global mindset: Scholars share a global outlook, embrace difference, and are interested in
broader social and cultural issues.
- Leadership: Scholars demonstrate a desire and potential to generate positive change in their
communities and around the world.
- Community: Scholars are part of a diverse, close-knit community. They engage in the Academy’s
academic, professional, and social activities.
- Application Submission for Preliminary Zoom Interview: 31 December 2021
- Online Interview and Info Session: 5 January 2022
- Application Submission Deadline for McDonnell: 31 January 2022
More info on McDonnell Scholars Academy is available in this video