For more than fifty years Columbia Law School has offered this Summer Program in American Law in collaboration with the University of Amsterdam and Leiden University law faculties. The Program is held every summer, for the whole month of July, and alternates each year between Amsterdam and Leiden. This year the Program will be held in Leiden.
The program will be divided into two blocks:
- Criminal Litigation taught by Amber Baylor
- Corporate Law taught by Joshua Mitts
- Contracts taught by Ed Morrison
- Transactional Practice taught by Lynnise Pantin
- Supreme Court Reform taught by Thomas Schmidt
- Litigation taught by Kellen Funk
- Jurisprudence taught by Bernard Harcourt
- Constitutional Law taught by Ashraf Ahmed
Who can apply
Master students in Law and Law graduates, who are professionally active in the practice of law, industry, commerce, government, international organizations, or related activities are eligible for admission to the Summer Program. Law students in an advanced phase of their studies (at least 2 full years completed) may also be admitted based on solid motivation and academic record.
English language proficiency
Minimum required scores for an English Language Test to be provided if you are not a native English speaker.
TOEFL-test: minimum overall score 88
IELTS-test: minimum overall score 6,5
CERF-test minimum overall level B2
Documentation for application
- Student: A copy of a university transcript of grades in English.
- Professional: A copy of a university diploma in English. If you have not yet received your diploma, an academic transcript of your grades will suffice.
- All: A motivation letter for the 2022 Program.
- All: A copy of passport or identity card.
- All: A recent photo (also used in internal communication).
- All: An up-to-date resume (curriculum vitae).
- A letter of recommendation by a law academy teacher or professor or your employer.
- A motivation letter for scholarship – please refer to the scholarship page for more information.
- Students: €150
- Professionals: €000
- UL & UvA students: €500
In order to apply, please visit our official website here and follow the instructions on the Application
page. The application deadline is the end of June. Apply here
The 2022 session of the Columbia Summer Program will be held in Leiden in July.
Both students and professionals will be housed in accommodation provided by the Columbia Summer Program. Housing is included in the tuition fee. All participants will be housed in accommodations in the heart of the city to provide you with the true Leiden experience. We will provide individual accommodations (room or studio) in communal housing facilities to stimulate interaction and community building amongst participants.
Lunch 4 times a week is included in the tuition fee. On days on which classes are given all participants are expected to attend the lunches organized by the Program. During the application process, you can inform us of any dietary requirements. We will accommodate those requirements but may be limited in our options. Breakfast and evening meals will not be provided.
Further information will become available soon.
Extracurricular activities will be announced in the Program documentation.