The International Center of Chuo University will nominate MEXT applicants who will come to Japan to study in the Graduate Program of Chuo University in September 2024 as non-degree students (Senkasei or Kenkyusei)*and plan to continue studying at the Graduate School of Chuo University as a full-time degree-seeking students.
*Kenkyusei (full-time non-degree research student) *Senkasei (full-time non-degree student)
December 8, 2023 (JST)
[Qualification and conditions]
Applicants must satisfy all of the following qualifications and conditions:
Applicants must be persons who will come to study in the Graduate Program of Chuo University in September 2024 as a non-degree research student (Kenkyusei) or non-degree student (Senkasei) and have the plan to continue studying as a full-time degree-seeking student at Chuo University from April 2025 or April 2026.
Applicants must be nominated formally by the Dean of the Graduate School of the partner institutions of Chuo University. Those applicants are preferably current students of the graduate school but may include persons who have a certification of graduation prospect or have already graduated from the undergraduate or graduate program of the home institution or who are currently academic staff members of the home institution.
Applicants must be citizens of a country officially recognized by the Japanese Government. Applicants who possess Japanese citizenship can’t apply for this scholarship. Applicant’s nationalities are designated by MEXT, please see the list on the last page.
Applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1989.
(4) Academic Background:
Applicants must have graduated from the undergraduate program of a university/college or the equivalent. Applicants must have excellent academic and personal records of basically the previous or present academic home institutions as a degree-seeking full-time student. Please consider the following principles on grading standards designated by MEXT when host institutions recommend its’ applicant(s) to this scholarship program.
[GPA requirement] IMPORTANT!
To our partners: Be sure to applicant’s GPA meets the MEXT scholarship GPA requirement. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.30/3.0 or higher to be able to be eligible for the MEXT scholarship. Please calculate your GPA by referring the file titled “99_Grading standard example designated by MEXT” Applicant’s GPA must be calculated using the MEXT system. If the GPA is less than 2.30/3.0, you can not apply for MEXT scholarship.
Applicant’s grades must be included in this calculation. As different universities may use different grading systems, MEXT has prepared the following table of examples to demonstrate its calculation system for converting applicants’ GPAs to the MEXT GPA standard. Your MEXT-calculated GPA is rounded down to the third decimal place. Academic performance should be based on regular course performance. Do not include the grades of research students (non-regular courses, Japanese language education institutions, etc.). For graduates, calculate the academic performance of the final academic background, and for current students,
calculate the academic performance of the course currently enrolled.
If your home university does not use any credit system, please do the following to calculate your GPA:
・Using the above scheme, add your grade points for every course you have completed.
・Then divide it by the total number of courses you have completed.
[Contents of scholarship]
¥143,000 per month, *The total amount of the scholarship in 2024 is subject to change without notice.
(2) Tuition Fee:
The grantee of this scholarship will be exempted from the tuition fee of Chuo University.
(3) Travel expenses:
1) Travel expenses to come to Japan:
An economy class air ticket from an international airport nearest to the student’s current address (in home country) or home institution to basically the New Tokyo International Airport (Narita Airport).
2) Travel expenses to return to home country (only for students returning to their home country by the date designated by MEXT):
An economy class air ticket from basically the New Tokyo International Airport (Narita Airport) to an international airport* nearest to the student’s current address (in home country) or home institution.
*The grantee cannot use any airport other than the international airport located in the country of which the grantee has a nationality.
*Other expenses related to travel like international airport tax should be covered by the student.
Grantees will be deprived of their scholarship in any of the following cases:
1) A false statement has been made on his/her application dossiers.
2) They violate any article of his/her pledge to MEXT.
3) They have been subjected to disciplinary action by the university or have no prospect for academic achievement. And they have been long absent from Chuo University.
4) They drop out of Chuo University, or obtain a degree status at another university.
5) Their status of residence in Japan is changed from “Ryugaku (college student)” to any other status.
[Duration of the Scholarship]
Up to 18 months from October 2024 to March 2026
In case a grantee desires to move on to a regular graduate course, duration of the scholarship may be
extended under the condition that a recommendation through Chuo University is approved by MEXT. (The grantee is not able to apply for an extension of scholarship as a non-degree-seeking student.) The first scholarship will be paid at the end of October, student needs to prepare enough money (approx. 2,000 USD) for settlement in the first month in Japan.文科省国費留学生 大学推薦<要項＞ 5/8
[MEXT Scholarship 2024]
1) Any grantee who desires to move on to a regular graduate course must pass an entrance examination held by Chuo University. Basically, a grantee will be required to have a JLPT N1 level to take an entrance examination for a regular graduate course (especially Master’s degree courses).
2) It is not permitted to apply for a degree status at another university.
3) Not all students may extend the scholarship period.
4) Chuo will provide the grantee with a tuition fee waiver for the period of the term of MEXT scholarship only.
5) Chuo will provide the dormitory with a discount monthly rent for the period of a full-time non-degree student, once you enter the regular course (full-time degree-seeking course) you are required to arrange housing by yourself. Chuo will not help
Important Document :